JellyPages.com

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Week 5

We survived week 5! The kids have been having so much fun this week with the Boosterthon fundraiser and they were super pumped about the Fun Run! Thanks to all of the parents, friends, and family who contributed!

This week in…
Spelling: The kiddos worked on their spelling activities and took their spelling quiz this morning.
Grammar: We discussed singular and plural nouns and overall the kids have been doing very well with this concept!
Reading: We continued to talk about the theme of books and different context clues that we can use to determine a word’s meaning.
Writing: The kids have been working very hard on their personal narratives and I have enjoyed reading them this week.
Science: We talked about the different types of clouds and the differences between weather and climate. They seem to really be enjoying this unit, which I love! Please ask them questions about what they are learning! I think they may be faster at naming clouds than I am!
Math: We learned the standard algorithm for subtraction and subtracting across zeros. This is an extremely abstract and difficult concept for the kids so please help your child with this at home!

Next week in…
Spelling: We will give a preview of the words but will not officially test on these words until the following Friday (9/16) due to the short 4 day week, I know the kids will be so sad (ha!).
Grammar: We will be discussing possessive nouns. There will be an assessment on Friday.
Reading: The kids will be practicing inferencing skills. Please practice this skill with your child as this can be a very difficult concept.
Writing: We will continue working on and editing their personal narratives.
Science: The kids will be learning about weather maps and weather instruments. The Water and Weather test will be on Tuesday September 20th. I will pass out a study guide next week!
Math: We will be solving addition and subtraction word problems and multi-step word problems.

Make sure your child is logging into IXL each day. This is a great website to practice the skills we are learning in class. If you do not have access to internet at home, I always allow kids to log on in the morning! I also have SEVERAL resources for different math skills on my blog under the “Math” page. I recommend that your child practices their basic math facts as often as possible. I’m finding that many of them do not know their basic addition and subtraction facts, so these sites will help and they are games so they don’t even realize they are educational (teacher secret!). I have resources for other subjects under my other pages on my blog as well, so please check it out!

At Open House I handed out a sheet with the information about how to purchase books off of the Scholastic website. I have a couple parents who want to purchase books for their child, however I cannot submit the order until the total is $20. PLEASE consider purchasing books through this website, the books are marked down and some of them are dirt cheap. Not to mention, for every dollar you spend our class gets a point. With the points I can order books for our classroom library and other fun things! The easiest way to order is to go online to https://clubs.scholastic.com/home and create an account. Enter our class code which is Q79JX and this will ensure that our class gets the points through your purchases.

Progress Reports will be sent home next week in the Thursday Folders to all students. If your child has a C or below in any subject you are asked to sign and return their Progress Report. You can also log in to ParentVue to see their grades as well. If you still do not have access or have difficulty logging in, please contact the front office.

Please sign and return the Performing Arts permission forms as soon as possible. These are in school “field trips” that the students can participate in. It is requested that you make a donation to the program, however it is not mandatory for your child to attend. If I do not have a permission form for your child, I cannot allow them to go and they will have to sit in another class or in the Learning Commons (library).

If you have any questions or concerns about anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. If I can’t answer your question over email, I will be more than willing to set up a time to meet or a time to call you. I want your child to be successful and I will do whatever it takes to make that happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment